Terrarium DIY

Thursday, February 2

I've been interested in terrariums lately. I just think they are so lovely, little bottled ecosystems. I found these beautiful ones online, I love the gnome... I was inspired.
Clockwise from Left: one/two/three/four

I made my first terrarium back in December for my boyfriend's mom, and used one of those pretty apothecary jars like in the second image above. I don't have much of a green thumb, but surprisingly it's still going strong and the little plants are thriving! So, I thought I'd use up the leftover plants I had, and use just a simple mason jar. Here's how it came out!
Terrariums are wonderful things to have, because it's a good way to bring some greenery into your home. They don't require much maintenance or sunlight, so they do well in apartments and small spaces.
What you need:
  • A glass container with a lid. Look for something that is tall, so you have enough space for enough soil, and room for the plants to grow upwards.
  • Assorted plants that require indirect sunlight. These are usually in one area of the gardening store. I used different kinds of moss ("Scotch Moss" and "Baby Tears"), because they are adapted for a moist environment. 
  • Potting soil
  • Small rocks or pebbles, aquarium stones work well
  • "Activated Charcoal", not the kind for BBQing. The charcoal absorbs the moisture, so that your terrarium doesn't get moldy and stinky.

1. Fill the bottom of the jar with rocks about 1/2 inch.
2. Then put a 1/2 inch layer of charcoal on top of the rocks.
3. Fill the jar with about one inch of soil (you will be adding more later)
Prep the plants by removing the bottoms of the roots, loosen the soil a little so the roots will dig deep and grow happily in the new soil. 
4. Place your plants into the jar and arrange them the any way you like. 
I made a funnel from paper and used it to put dirt in the gaps between the plants. If the opening of your container is small, this will be necessary. I added a little red flag since it's close to Valentine's Day, but you could also add a little toy or figurine! 
You don't need to water the terrarium because it will produce it's own moisture. Although, I have read that it is good to periodically remove the lid to let some air in. 

Happy Crafting

10 comments:

  1. I love this! Such a great way to incorporate greenery in your home. (Which is so important in my opinion.) Thanks for the inspiration!

    Catherine
    FEST (a new blog about food, style & travel)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I love the look of terrariums! the one you made is adorable, great DIY!
    ~Drew
    http://openendedfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas. I have so many containers around here I could use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How neat! I have been wondering how you would make one of these! I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it! definitely want one now

    C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are there any specific plants you recommend (other than the mosses)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Featured a link to this on my friday favorites posts! This is too cute I love it:)

    <3 Leney

    http://agirlnamedleney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! So cute!

    xoxo, Jjanga
    www.sayhelloandsmile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the gnome. I bet he appreciates being protected too. :)

    susan
    http://munchkinsandmayhem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Calico skies All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger